Saturday, February 26, 2011

Oh The Places You'll Go!

So this one was kinda fun. My friend, Mary Jo, had no idea what she wanted to do for a friend who just graduated college. That said she kinda just said, "Make it chocolate" and let me go from there. Wanting to try painting a bit more on the fondant I mentioned that when I graduated from college I received the same book from 3 people and Dave did too. Sounded great to her and a cake idea was born (yes, I am sure if we google it someone else has done it too - but I didn't google it so it is completely my idea!).

First I started with the things that made me the most nervous..........the wording and the character at the top of the cover. You know what book this is now right?? Oh The Place You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss.........who has a birthday coming up ya know!



After I painted the whole thing out it didn't look like it popped. I knew what was missing - the black detail outlining on the book. Dave said I didn't need to do it. I knew if I even tested one spot with a black outline I would have to do the whole thing. So instead I sat and looked at it for a minute - then I got out the black. It did not take nearly as long as I thought - and it really did seem to make a difference.

Then I looked at how bland the sides were and thought I should paint some CHEERS to the Graduate.........only Yea You! is all I could come up with...........what else???

Well DUH!! - Quote the book!! So I dug one of my books out and began quoting!

I really love this book............and yes, we have gifted it to others and they are Off and Away


I hear the Graduate loved it! They were away on a Girls Weekend , but Mary Jo texted me to tell me it was a HIT!!

This cake was Chocolate with a Vanilla Buttercream icing and a Vanilla Fondant on the outside. All design is hand painted with icing tints.

3 comments:

mjblaze said...

WOW!!!

HalfPint said...

Thanks! How goes kid stuff?

Unknown said...

That looks tottaly awesome