Monday, December 27, 2010

Zebra Strip Cake



I have been seeing Zebra striped cakes for awhile when I Google "fun girl cakes"........or "fun kids cakes"........or really just simply "fun cakes". There are always tier cakes that pop up with crazy tiers in different patterns and Zebra stripes are a favorite of many decorators.

But no one ever says......"hey can you do a Zebra stripe cake?"

Honestly this person didn't either. Instead she asked for a white cake with black polka dots and a giant pink bow. Then later as we talked in emails and I asked what color pink she mentioned that she had changed the theme of the invites a bit and went with a Zebra Stripe and a Pink Box.............what??? ZEBRA STRIPE??? So I took that as my chance and suggested that we dump the polka dots and match her invite. I found some cute Zebra striped cupcake papers to go with the small cupcakes that she also asked for and the rest was a perfect match up.




Then it was all just making the cake and putting the stripes on. Which was going to be sooooooooooooooo soooooooooooo simple..........right?

Yeah, famous last thoughts!

Really this time - laying the base fondant (the white layer) in a perfect covering without a tear or anything (yea me!) was the easiest part. Ironic right? After all those posts about tears due to fondant falling apart. Well anyway.........cutting the Zebra stripes was totally simple.......but picking them up and then attaching them to the white fondant without making a black stain from the icing tint..........that was HARD!! And obviously the only way I know that there would be a black stain on the white fondant if I messed up was because I DID MESS UP!! However, I figured out that if I brushed some water onto the white I could remove the black stain - but it did leave a faint shadow - that Dave said he couldn't see, but of course I saw like it was a neon blinking sign......the curse of the perfectionist.






Still........in the end the cake was really really cute. I loved it.
The person who asked for it also loved it..........which is the real goal.
This cake was Chocolate Chocolate Chip with a Vanilla Buttercream icing covered over with a Vanilla Fondant.
SuperCute!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love ur cake wished i had it

Dat Seabass said...

Hello mate nicce blog