Saturday, January 22, 2011

Magical Gluten Free Vegan Cupcakes.....really

These little gems accompanied Dawson's Bunny Top Hat birthday cake. They are an example of HOW MUCH FUN I am having using the edible markers!! But I didn't make them only because I wanted to use some markers. My friend, Marji, has a son (the youngest of 4) who is allergic to almost everything edible. As he gets older foods are added - but right now at the ripe old age of 4 he goes to Birthday parties and other Celebrations and when they are passing out cake his wonderful mom whips out a Ziploc bag with a treat he can eat.

What would that be? Well it would be a Gluten Free, Egg Free, Milk Free and the list goes on Free baked good. So what is this? Well this is a variation of the cupcake I made for the teacher who was Gluten Free. This is a Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate cupcake. Seriously.

Since Fondant is dairy free - just sugar and water with a little gelatin - he is totally kosher to eat fondant. And since I can use fun edible markers on fondant............I was able to make something cool for Nathan.

At one point in the party he started hugging my leg. I looked down and he said, "Thank you". Not realizing what he was thanking me for I told Marji about it. She said he had just looked at the Magic Hat Cake and said, "I don't get to eat that do I?" and she picked the plate of fun cupcakes up and said, "No, but Patti made all these just for you." and then he ran over to hug me.

Later I asked Marji if he liked them.........and she said, "After he finishes the 3rd one I will ask him." and smiled at me. Mission Accomplished.

These cupcake are as I said earlier - Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes. The flour used was a blend of Rice flour, Potato flour and Tapioca flour. There is no base icing to avoid allergies, but a straight Vanilla Fondant icing is used.

No comments: